Muslim Student Association’s Case Against Shoebat
Walid Shoebat will speak at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee tonight.
And his talk will be followed by a panel sponsored by the Muslim Student Association attacking Shoebat and supporting Muslim belief.
We have advance copies of some of the material that will be used to attack Shoebat.
The handouts include:
- An article claiming that his biography made up, and questioning whether he really was a terrorist
- A list of talking points likewise questioning his background, and attributing extreme beliefs to him
- A statement from the Muslim Student Association at UC Davis that “called today on the FBI and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to investigate and deport Walid Shoebat, a self-confessed ‘ex-terrorist.’”
- A handout claiming that Shoebat has preached violence, rather than peace
- A statement from the UWM Muslim Student Association claiming that Shoebat is a “purveyor of hate, fear and violence.”
We firmly believe in Shoebat’s right to promote his hateful views and his right to demonize Islam and Muslims. Neo-Nazi’s, the KKK and Shoebat all have the right to speak and we firmly uphold that right. However, we also believe that a venue other than a university would have been more appropriate for Shoebat to disseminate his bigotry and xenophobia. Shoebat has no academic credentials. He is a charlatan, a snake oil salesman and a fraud. Shoebat is a former “nobody” and is now an extremist Christian terrorist.This sounds a bit bizarre in the face of the fact that the Muslim Student Association did try to get Shoebat’s speech cancelled.
Our experience in dealing with the Kennedy assassination might give us some insight on issues like this.
In the first place, people will come forward to tell “interesting” but quite false stories about their participation in important historical events. For the most part, these people are attention seekers.
On the other hand, when a witness gives testimony that certain people don’t like, it will get twisted out of context and all sorts of bogus claims will be made against the witness.
Either way, the Muslim students may have much more success discrediting Shoebat than they had trying to shut him up. In the very tolerant American culture, people automatically side with the person who is the object of a censorship attempt. But if it’s just speech (Shoebat’s) against speech (Muslim student’s) it’s an equal playing field.
There is a lesson here.
End of lecture.